As requested quite a while back, I have finally got round to posting about some things to do and things definitely not to do if you have friends with mental health issues such as anxiety and depression.
1. Check in with them regularly to see how they are doing, you might think you are bugging them but actually it's nice to know someone cares and to not be the first person contacting people.
2. Let them know you are there for them.
3. Invite them places; although we may often say no to social events this doesn't mean we never want to go out, it's nice to be invited even if we're not up for attending something.
4. Try to understand if they bail on a plan last minute.
5. See if they would like to meet up one to one basis for a drink rather than always big social activities.
6. Be patient, sensitive and supportive.
1. Keep on asking too many personal questions to try and understand, unfortunately it is one of those things that if you haven't experienced it, it's hard to understand and we know that.
2. Make comments like, 'oh it'll be fine' or 'if you just got out a bit more', or anything that makes us feel guilty for not seeing you for a while or bailing on plans.
3. Assume that because we are smiling and having a laugh that we are 'magically cured'. Good days exist, but so do days when we're better at hiding how we feel.
4. Pressure them to do things they don't feel comfortable doing or have already decided a definite no against.
5. Take it personally if they ignore you, get angry with you or argue with you.
Look out for each other!!